All accommodation during your Wanderlands Australia Trip is at the five star rated YHA central Hostel. Smack bang in Sydney’s city center and close to all the action, YHA is the perfect location. Our hostel is in the hub of the backpacker district and we offer quality dorm accommodation, with shared rooms for Wanderland Groupies only, making it the perfect base to get to know your crew! However, if you would prefer a private room, this can also be arranged at an extra cost. Boasting panoramic rooftop views, free activities, a lively basement bar, heated swimming pool and sauna, cinema room for chilling and free Wi-Fi hotspots so you can stay connected.

Life was meant for good friends and great adventures and with our small intimate groups of up to 20 people, that’s just what you’ll get. Our groups are filled with young, fun and adventurous like-minded travellers between the ages of 18-30’s. You will meet people from all corners of the globe so with a group like this you are bound to have an awesome time, make me friends and share experiences – after all, who wants to explore Australia alone?


Private group tours can be arranged, please contact us for more information.

Visa Info

Visas for Australia may seem confusing but don’t worry, we are here to help. There are lot of different options for you to choose from depending on how long you want to stay or whether you want to work during your time in Australia. So if you’re not sure which one is right for you, then don’t hesitate to contact us at where we will be sure to provide you with all the assistance you need to get your visa. To apply for your Working Holiday Visa visit:

Here is a run down of some of the different visas you can apply for:

Subclass 417 – Working Holiday Visa
The Australian 417 Working Holiday Visa is available to 18-30 year olds who hold valid passports from the following countries: UK, BELGIUM, CANADA, CYPRUS, DENMARK, FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, HONG KONG, IRELAND, ITALY, JAPAN, KOREA, TAIWAN, MALTA, THE NETHERLANDS, NORWAY & SWEDEN. Your Australian Working Holiday Visa allows you to live, work & travel in Australia for 12-months, with the ability to extend your stay by another 12-months on a 2nd Year Visa extension. To be eligible for an Australian Working Holiday Visa you must be outside Australia when you apply and when your visa is granted. You must not have entered Australia on a Working Holiday Visa before and you must be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying. You must be applying no more than 12 months before you intend to travel to Australia. Once you have your visa, you can…
  • Enter Australia within 12 months of your visa being granted
  • Stay for up to 12 months
  • Leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid
  • Work in Australia for up to 6 months with each employer
  • Study for up to 4 months
  • Extend your stay by another 12-months by working 3 months (88 days) in a Specified Role, e.g fruit picking / farm work. If you gain a 2nd Year Visa extension, you may return to work for a further 6 months for an employer with whom you worked on your first Working Holiday Visa.
Subclass 462 – Working & Travel Visa

The Australian 462 Work & Travel Visa is available to 18-30 year olds who hold valid passports from the following countries:

  • USA

Your visa is valid up to 12 months and enables you to live, work and travel in Australia for up to 12-months. You may enter Australia at any time within 12-months of the visa grant date, stay for up to 12 months and re–enter Australia any number of times within that period. Unfortunately, it is not possible to qualify for a second year visa extension by working in regional Australia. USA: You must have graduated from High School. Argentina: You must hold tertiary qualifications or have completed/been approved to undertake a third year of undergraduate university study. Chile: You must hold tertiary qualifications or have completed/been approved to undertake a third year of undergraduate university study. Malaysia: You must hold tertiary qualifications, or have successfully completed at least two (2) years of undergraduate university study. Thailand: You must hold a degree or post high school diploma from an accredited institution. Turkey: You must hold tertiary qualifications, or have successfully completed at least two (2) years of undergraduate university study.

Tourist Visas

If you are not planning to work in Australia you can also apply for a tourist visa for up  to 3 months. All the information you need can be found here:


It is compulsory for all groupies to have travel insurance whilst traveling with Wanderlands Australia. Traveling is all about adventure and experiencing the unknown. Unfortunately, this can mean that some things don’t always go to plan from time to time. Whilst you are in the safe hands of your group leader from the moment you walk through arrivals to the end of the tour, planes can sometimes be delayed, luggage can go missing and accidents can happen. Your group leader will check your documents at the beginning of the tour to ensure you are correctly covered and you can travel with peace of mind. It is important your travel insurance covers you for the following:

* Medical expenses

* Missed flights

* Luggage loss and theft

All activities included in the tour and anything you plan on doing during your stay in Australia – snorkeling, scuba dive, surfing, bungee jump, sky dive, etc. If you haven’t got your insurance arranged yet, simply get in touch with us and we can help you arrange it. Please feel free to call us on (+61) 2 8541 6557 or E-mail:

There are many jobs available to backpackers across Australia. Whether you are saving for that awesome East Coast trip or want to gain your 2nd year visa we have all the best advice and tips for you. During your first eight days with us we’ll have a “Work & Travel Talk” with you to go over the various options and sources for you to take advantage of to find the perfect job for you.

As well as helping you find a job we can also hook you up with the best training courses around to get you where you want to be. In Australia you will need training certificates to work in certain sectors such as hospitality or construction, so we can help you get on the exact course you need so don’t worry about it – that’s what we’re here for!

When you book with us you are not just getting an eight-day trip in Sydney, you are getting our constant support before depart and during your time in Australia. We are on hand help find jobs, training courses, travel, accommodation. Our door in Sydney is always open and we encourage you to visit us whenever you’re are in town. As well as our “Work & Travel Talk” explaining the various ways you can travel and work within Australia. We can help you sort out your Tax File Number, Medicare, bank account, helping you secure your 2nd year visas, find that all important farm work and even helping you sort out a place to live during your time here.


Medicare is the governing body of the Australian public health system. If you are on a Working Holiday Visa 417, then you may be eligible for Medicare cover during your stay in Australia. Citizens of the UK, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Netherlands, Republic of Ireland and NZ are covered for the duration of your approved time in Australia. Citizens of Malta and Italy are covered by Medicare for a period of 6 months from the date of arrival in Australia. Medicare covers treatment that is deemed ‘medically necessary’. This means any sickness or injury which occurs while you are in Australia and requires treatment before you return home.



tax file number (TFN) is a number issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to identify an individual or organization for tax purposes. Each taxpaying entity (an individual, company, superannuation fund, partnership, or trust) has a unique TFN, which has eight or nine digits. Your TFN is your personal reference number in the tax and super systems. Your TFN is an important part of your tax and super records as well as your identity, so keep it secure. When we issue you with a TFN it’s yours for life. You keep the same TFN even if you change your name, change jobs, move interstate or go overseas. You don’t have to have a TFN, but without one you pay more tax. You also won’t be able to apply for government benefits, lodge your tax return electronically or get an Australian business number (ABN).



After all your hard work you will want to get back every penny to make your time in Australia even more unforgettable so we can even help you claim back all your tax at the end of the tax year. We will do all the boring paperwork so you don’t have too. Just sit back, relax and wait for the $$$!

Australia is a huge country and has all four seasons depending on where you are so make sure you pack some clothing for all occasions,

but don’t stress if you forget something you can pick up everything you need once you’re here.

Here is a checklist of the main things to bring when you travel:

Packing checklist:

  • Passport
  • Flight tickets
  • Credit cards and money
  • Padlock for your bag
  • Printed out copy of your travel insurance
  • Camera & charger
  • MP3 player/iPod
  • Phone & charger
  • International plug adapter
  • Beach wear and towel
  • A light rain jacket
  • Clean underwear

Where can I stay if I arrive before the start date?

We are happy to book your pre nights accommodation. It is roughly AU$40-AU$50 and this will be paid locally once you check in.

Where can I purchase insurance?

We recommend World Nomads, there is a link on our website.

What are the room allocations?

4-6 bed dorms feature free Wi-Fi and shared bathrooms. Dorms have bunk beds and lockers.

What if I want to upgrade to a private room?

Double / Twin with shared bathroom facilities – *Roughly $100 per room per night
Double / Twin with ensuite – *Roughly $120 per room per night

Is there Wi-Fi available in our hotels?

Yes, there is free wifi in the lobby but you can pay for wifi in the rooms, $15 for 7 days.

What kind of accommodation do we stay in?

We stay in a hostel. Amenities include a rooftop pool, a sauna and a sundeck, plus a cinema with beanbag seating. There’s also a game room, a cafe/bar and a communal kitchen.

Do I need a visa to enter the country?

Yes. Please let us know if you need assistance with this. We recommend World Nomads, there is a link on our website.

Are flights included in the price?

No however we are happy to help you with advice on what flight you should get.

Where does the tour finish?

Sydney, Australia.

Where does the tour start?

Sydney, Australia.

How much should we expect to pay for food and drinks?

Food and drinks are quite similar in price to most other Western countries. AU$10-AU$20 for meals and AU$5-AU$15 for drinks.

Is airport pick up included?

Yes, airport pick up can be arranged free of charge for those arriving on the start date or 1 day before.

What meals are included?

One traditional Aussie BBQ, one Breakfast, two lunches and one dinner.

Onwards travel After your initial trip with us the fun doesn’t have to stop. We have an awesome team of travel experts who can help you book the trip of a lifetime! From skydiving over Mission Beach to sailing around the Whitsundays, we can organise everything for you. We can put together a tailor made trip just for you and the new friends you have met on your trip. No matter what your budget or the amount of time you have, we will help you create the best trip possible. If you have been well and truly bitten by the travel bug and fancy exploring more than Australia, then we can help there too. We’ve got onwards travel covered for not only all of Australia, but Asia and New Zealand as well.